At HAI 2023, we are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming environment for all participants. We believe that embracing a wide range of perspectives enhances the quality of research, innovation, and collaboration in our field. Our Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) initiatives are aimed at ensuring that HAI is a conference where individuals from all backgrounds can engage, learn, and contribute without barriers.
D&I session (7th of December at 13:00 pm CET @ Foyer Area, Wallenberg Conference Center)
Join us for an interactive Diversity & Inclusion session bringing senior and junior researchers together.
Theme: Expanding horizons for AI / HAI research
The solution to diversity and inclusion in AI requires an inclusive, holistic approach where everyone should contribute.
The “collaborative synergy” involves individuals from various backgrounds acknowledging the need for mutual support and understanding. In environments where one gender dominates, it is essential for individuals to express solidarity with each other. For example, in AI research, significant strides are made through collaborative efforts of diverse teams. It is especially important for researchers, irrespective of gender, to be supportive, fostering collaborations and mentorship.
Therefore, it is crucial to cultivate an environment of mutual support and self-awareness among all team members. We aim to spark a conversation on this topic by engaging early-stage and seasoned researchers to share their experiences and insights. The interactive and participative discussion will focus on avenues to create an inclusive environment in the workplace.
During this discussion, researchers at different career stages will have the opportunity to participate in an open dialogue. We will address topics related to diversity and inclusion to help attendees recognize and mitigate unconscious biases that can impact interactions and decision-making in the workplace.
We will also tackle questions like:
- How can we ensure that junior (and not primarily senior) researchers’ voices are heard in meetings?
- Challenges and opportunities.
- How can we strengthen each other as colleagues?
- What support would young researchers would like to see from senior researchers?
Diversity & Inclusion @HAI: Mission
- Inclusivity: We strive to create an inclusive space where people of diverse backgrounds, identities, and experiences feel respected and valued.
- Equity: We are dedicated to promoting equity by addressing systemic disparities and providing opportunities for everyone to thrive.
- Respect: We uphold a culture of respect, where each individual’s ideas, opinions, and contributions are appreciated.
- Open Dialogue: We encourage open dialogue about diversity and inclusion to foster understanding and learning within our community.
- Diverse Representation: We are dedicated to achieving a diverse representation of speakers, attendees, and organizers at our conference. Our goal is to showcase a wide range of voices, experiences, and expertise.
- Accessibility: We are committed to providing an accessible conference experience for all participants. If you have specific accessibility needs, please let us know by sending an email to hanan.salam(at)nyu.edu, and we will work to accommodate them.
- Safe and Inclusive Environment: We have a strict Code of Conduct in place to ensure that HAI remains a safe and inclusive space for everyone. Harassment, discrimination, and any form of disrespectful behaviour will not be tolerated, and can be reported by sending an email to hanan.salam(at)nyu.edu.
- Diverse Speaker Lineup: Our speaker selection process prioritizes diversity to ensure a balanced representation of genders, races, ethnicities, and backgrounds.
- Inclusive Language: We are committed to using inclusive language throughout our materials and communication.
- Mentorship Session: Join our mentorship session on the 7th of December at 13:00 pm CET where senior and junior researchers can engage in an open discussion. We will address topics related to D&I to help attendees recognize and mitigate unconscious biases that can affect interactions and decision-making in the workplace.
- Attendee Well-Being & Inclusivity: We prioritize attendee well-being and inclusivity by providing the following amenities:
(a) Relaxation Room: A dedicated space for calming activities and meditation, allowing attendees to unwind and recharge;
(b) Private Nursing & Family Room: For mothers who require a space for breastfeeding or pumping, we offer a private room to ensure comfort and sensitivity. The room can also be used by parents that want to be with their children. These offerings aim to create a supportive and inclusive environment for all attendees.
- Feedback: We value your feedback on our D&I efforts. Please share your thoughts and suggestions to help us continuously improve. Share your feedback by contacting us by email to hanan.salam(at)nyu.edu.
- Spread the Word: Help us promote diversity and inclusion by sharing our initiatives and encouraging colleagues to participate.
- Participate: Engage in our D&I session to learn, contribute, and connect with others in the community.
We invite you to join us in creating an inclusive and vibrant conference experience at HAI 2023. Together, we can build a stronger, more diverse, and more collaborative community
– Hanan Salam, HAI D&I chair